Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Getting started

I live in an apartment with a small kitchen. Over time I’ve learned a few things about cooking meals large and small in a tiny space. I have no culinary experience except that I love food, everything about it. I learn by doing. Sometimes it works out for the better and sometimes… not. I have made some colossal mistakes and I have had some amazing triumphs. I want to share my experiences so you can avoid some of the same mistakes and try some of my techniques and recipes.

Two warnings before we really get started:

  1. Cooking is dangerous. You’re going to find new foods you really like and want to eat all the time and you’ll be forever spoiled (in a good way) and not want to eat as much processed or ready made store bought food. For me it's home made pasta. It's time consuming totally worth it.
  2. No really cooking can be dangerous. You should have the proper safety devices in place before you start any type of cooking. You’ll need:


-a fire extinguisher. (I’m not kidding) Mine was mounted on the wall by the landlord. Not really something you’ll see in a kitchen renovation or design show but I’d rather function over form.

-good heat resistant gloves or potholders. I’d suggest gloves; you get protection all the way around your hand. I have had many burns to prove that I don’t always follow my own rules. When I do follow my gloves suggestion I use middle of the road firefighter’s gloves. They will cost more than something like the ‘Ove Glove or products of the sort but they will work better and last longer. They will cost somewhere around $50 to $90 and they take some time to break in but they are worth it.

-sharp knives. you don’t need to spend an arm and a leg but sharp knives will keep your fingers safe. I know this is counter intuitive but it’s true. If your knives a properly sharpened they will glide though whatever you’re cutting without going off course and into your hand. You will also be able to work faster and make more even pieces of whatever you’re cutting

-2 cutting boards. one plastic and one wooden. The plastic board is for all your raw meats. It’s safer than wood because you can throw it in the dishwasher and get it all clean and sanitized. The wooden board can be used for everything else. Wood boards are generally easier on knife blades.

-a good apron. Although this isn’t really a safety thing it will keep your clothes much cleaner. Well, I suppose if your shirts are thin and you’re working with hot oil this might be a safety item too.


When you start cooking make what you love. Cook what you like to eat because then you'll put your heart into what you're making and it will show.

When I was little my favorite food when we would go out to eat was chicken fingers. I still rate diners and chain restaurants by their chicken fingers. This is my recipe for baked chicken fingers.

Easy chicken fingers

1 chicken breast per person

1 egg beaten

1 cup of bread crumbs (you may need more depending on how breaded you like your chicken)

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp dry parsley

1 tsp dry oregano

1 tsp dry basil


Directions: Pre-heat your oven to 325. Mix the bread crumbs with the spices (these are just the spices I like to use you’re more than welcome to change this up as much as you want, let me know what you come up with). Slice your chicken into strips (fingers). Dunk the strips of chicken into the beaten egg, then dredge them in the bread crumb mixture. Lay all the strips out on a baking sheet or in a shallow baking dish. Bake at 325 for about 15 minutes , or until done in the center of the thickest part of each finger. Turn the chicken fingers over half way through the baking time to have evenly golden brown chicken fingers.

My personal favorite dipping sauce for chicken fingers is honey mustard. I use a good dijon or a fancy stone ground mustard and mix it with equal parts honey. But of course these are equally fantastic with BBQ or ranch dressing.

1 comment:

  1. One Suggestion... HEAT! A little Cayanne Pepper will help give those wings a little kick!!

    ReplyDelete