Friday, August 19, 2011

Frying makes everything better

I’m not usually a big fan of eggplant. When it’s raw it is really meaty and firm but when you start to cook it the meatiness turns to mush, gross. But for you my friends I was willing to give it another shot, and hope it was better than the beets.
I racked my brain thinking of all the different things I could do to hide the eggplantiness of it. In the end I decided to roll with it and see what happened. I sliced it up threw it in some egg, then breaded it and fried it. And wouldn’t you know it? It was great! To top it off instead of sprinkling with salt I decided to go a whole different route. I sprinkled shredded parmesan cheese (shredded not powdered). It was salty and delicious. I fried it in vegetable oil. The one thing to keep in mind is that your oil needs to be hot. If it’s too cool you’ll end up with soggy eggplant that has way too much oil in it. If you fry in nice hot oil you’ll keep the fat content down and your eggplant should be pretty crisp.
Suggested tools:
Shallow fry pan
Splatter screen (I don’t know about you but I’m not a fan of speckled oil burns up my arm)
Tongs (the best way to turn things that I’ve found)
1 plate covered in paper towels to drain

Recipe:
1 eggplant sliced into 2 inch by 1 inch slices (or however you like them)
1 egg beaten
1 cup (ish) 4C seasoned breadcrumbs
Vegetable oil to coat the bottom of a 10-12 inch frying pan
½ cup parmesan cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment