Thursday, September 22, 2011

Quesadillas!

Time for a little Mexican food! I was inspired yesterday by the beautiful red frying peppers I had in my refrigerator. We had steak quesadillas for dinner last night and they were awesome! I love it when something I make up works out so well.

You’ll need:
3 red frying peppers (or bell if you can’t find them)- chopped into small cubes
1 red or sweet onion - small cubes (the same size as the peppers)
1.5 lbs chipped beef
Tortilla shells
Shredded cheese
Cumin
Paprika
Red pepper
Chili powder
Oil (a little bit)
Salt
Garlic powder
Worcestershire sauce

So I know I didn’t give you any measurements on the spices. I’m sorry. I have no idea. It was “a little of this and a little of that” until it tasted right. I know I didn’t use much chili powder because they variety I have it hot as blazes which is great but it’s hard to work with because I have to remind myself not to put as much as I would if it were normal McCormick’s brand chili powder.

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

To make quesadillas I chopped the onion fine and softened it in a pan with a little vegetable oil. Once they were starting to turn translucent I added the red peppers and put a cover on the pan. I let them hang out over medium/low for about 5 minutes.

While they cooked I chopped the chipped beef down from long thin slices to shorter sections to make them easier to eat in the quesadillas.

Once the vegetables were pretty well cooked through I added a little bit of all the spices. I leaned pretty heavy on the paprika and the cumin. Again I used less that ¼ teaspoon of the hot chili powder because it is so strong.

Let the vegetables hang out for a bit and blend.Remove from the pan and hold off in a separate bowl.

Add the meat to the same pan with just a dash of oil, and garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Cook until browned and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes (the chipped beef cooked up very quickly, if you use another cut like stir fry meat it may take longer).

Once the meat is cooked through spread out tortillas on a cookie sheet. You should be able to get 2 on a sheet, they may hang over the edge a little bit but that's fine. Add a layer of cheese, vegetables, meat, and more cheese (it helps the whole thing stick together). Place a tortilla on top of each quesadilla and place the whole cookie sheet in the oven. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the top tortilla starts to brown just a little bit, don't let it go to far or it will crumble.

Remove from oven and place on a cutting board. Chop into 4 to 6 sections and serve immediately. Personally I like a little guacamole, sour cream, and salsa with mine!

Enjoy my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment