Monday, October 24, 2011

One pot chicken

After a long week last week and a weekend that was far too short tonight all I wanted was to curl up with a glass of wine and a book. Sadly however, that was not to be. Laundry needed to be done and real dinner needed to be made (if I'd been alone I probably would have just gone for the wine but the other half needs real dinner). So the question was what to eat? What to make? My first thought was cereal because it's easy. but I wanted something more fulfilling than that. I knew I had chicken in the freezer so I pulled that out right away and let it start to defrost.
Here's what I ended up with:

3 chicken breasts, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
1 1/2 to 2 c peas and carrot frozen mix
1/2 c chicken stock
1 can cream of mushroom soup
paprika
thyme
1 heaping tablespoon flour
2 1/2 c Bisquick
2/3 c milk

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the stock, soup, thyme, and paprika together in an oven safe dish, I used a Corningware dish with a glass lid. Add the chicken breast, peppers, onion, and the pea and carrot mix. Stir until the vegetables and chicken are coated with the stock/soup mix.

Cover and cook for 30 minutes.

Add flour and mix.

Cover and cook for 20 minutes.

Increase the oven temp to 450 degrees.

Mix the Bisquick and milk together (follow the directions for biscuits on the box) kneed the dough. Cut and place on the top of the now cooked chicken mixture. (remove the glass cover first, I know I shouldn't have to say that... but someone will forget or not understand) Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown and delicious!

I really wasn't expecting much from this. For some reason I had a feeling it was going to fail or be terrible, to which you might say "well why did you try it?" Because I can be very very wrong sometimes. This happened to be one of those times!! I still have a happy and well fed husband! He gave me the full mouth joy-filled groan plus the thumbs up today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment