Saturday, December 8, 2012

Coffee

I saw this article and I had to comment. 

I love coffee. It's one of the things I treat myself with. I buy a good slightly more expensive than normal brand to brew at home normally.

I know that the coffee industry is huge and everyone is trying to put their brand at the forefront. We have Kona, and sumatra, and arabica just to name a few. And then we talk about the roasting, then the brewing process. Rubusto, espresso, city, full city, or french? Drip, perk, or french press?

Now they're adding what animal ate then excreted the beans before they were roasted - cat or elephant? This is horrifying. I don't feel I have the right to take away someone's choice on what to eat or drink. I do however have the right to tell you I think you're crazy. If you're willing to drink something that has been first eaten, then passed through the digestive system of an animal, go right ahead. I will not be joining you. I don't care how complex the flavors are I can't get past the idea that the bean my coffee was made with passed through an elephant.

Beyond the gross out factor I don't need complexity in my morning coffee. I'm not looking for the earthy fruity flavors. I want, as my friend says, "coffee flavored coffee". Dark, rich, and full of body.

The Apartment Husband raises an excellent question: who decided it was a good idea to go poking around in elephant poo for something to eat or make a drink? Gross.

What are your thoughts on this or its cousin in weird coffee - kopi luwak? Am I the only one who thinks this trend (if you can call it that) is just bizarre?

No comments:

Post a Comment