Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Cake Decorating

I have always wanted to learn how to decorate cakes well. I love to watch a skilled decorator work. My inspiration - perfect for the month of May - Mom! We always had hand made cakes for special events, and I want to be able to pass that on. I also hope to never ever ever appear on Cake Wrecks, unless it's Sunday!

Last month I started Wilton's Cake decorating courses. So far it's been awesome! My office makes have a love/hate relationship with me right now. I keep bringing in cake and they keep eating it. 
So here's the progression of my studies.

Course 1

My first cake... well it sucked. Let's not mince words here. It's an ugly cupcake on top of a real cake and the colors are awful but it's a start. And what really matters... it tasted good.

 Then we moved on to cupcakes. I can handle cupcakes
 Actually... I really like cupcakes. They're fun, easy and everyone thinks they took a ton of work.

 This was my final cake for course 1. I liked it, but I definitely need work on my color selections... more on that later.
Easter just happened to be between courses 1 and 2 so of course I put my new skills to work on a cake! The Apartment Husband helped. He spent many an hour on youtube looking for tutorials on how to make rosebuds. We hadn't gotten there yet in class but we wanted them on the cake. As you can see he figured it out - at about 1AM. 

I've never seen a blue rose in real life but I liked them.
And I figured out how to do them on my own!

Course 2!

In course 2 we learned how to make sugar flowers. We worked in royal icing so the flowers would dry hard. It's pretty much like trying to bite into a rock, and just as flavorful. 
I'm really not sure how to incorporate the lilies into a cake. They just kind of stand up.
 

This is my final cake for course 2. I feel pretty good about this. I'm working on my cake design skills.
This is another place where I need to work on the color choices. I'm not so sure about the different pinks but my co-workers thought it was great so I'll go with it! They said it looked tropical.
Up next we'll be working on fondant and gum paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment