Friday, May 8, 2009

Picnic time!

Now that the grass is getting green and the weather is getting warmer I’m really in the mood for a picnic. Have you ever noticed the phenomenon that happens with perfectly manicured green grass as soon as you put a paved path through it? It doesn’t matter how inviting it looks. No one will pull out a blanket and throw a picnic on a grassy patch that has a path through it. It’s as though it’s somehow more pristine because of the path, or it’s off limits somehow. Unless of course you’re on a college campus then anyone will park grass anywhere.

The perfect picnic for me includes some of the quintessential summer foods:
Potato salad – Nana Peg’s finest, except no eggs. I don’t like to eggs in my potato salad because they’re the same color as the potatoes and it throws me off when I bite into a egg when I’m expecting the consistency of a potato.
Potato chips, I know potato salad and potato chips that’s a lot of potato but that’s ok. Ham and cheese sandwiches – a classic, but whatever other deli meat everyone likes, but for me it’s ham and cheese.
Grapes because they’re easy to eat and they go really well with the next line.
Cheese and wine – whatever kind is around. I’m a fan of a Chianti or a Merlot and a good smoked Gouda or cheddar.
Cold green bean salad – it’s fantastic, green beans, with red onions, garlic and a vinaigrette.
Crackers- preferable something that goes with the cheese.

Beyond the food I of course need a few friends, a baseball, a frisbee, a few blankets and sun block to cover my translucent skin.

Now to find a nice green grassy space without a paved path running through it.

Anything I'm missing?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah... You're missing the eggs! That's THE thing, along with the Celery that makes Nana's "Irish Ice-cream" what it is!

    ReplyDelete