Thursday, June 3, 2010

5 Gadgets every kitchen "needs"

Ok so I know I’ve written about kitchen gadgets and/or things to clutter your kitchen before but I need to revisit. I found this blog a few days ago and I still can’t get it out of my head. So I’ll go through the list and give my thoughts on the matter. You’ll see the author of the article and I disagree a bit.

1. Apple corer: Why do you ever need apples that still have the skin and are still in the normal apple shape but don’t have the core? I have never needed to core an apple, and if I did I’d use a sharp knife because really who needs to spend $15 on a piece of crap that will sit in your “gadget” (AKA junk) drawer for years before you pull it out, wonder what it was before it got rusted, then throw it out.

2. Wine pourer: also known as your hands. If you can’t pour wine without a big ugly metal C we might need to have a chat. In fact I’ll teach a class on pouring wine. You won’t need to spend the $35 or more on the ugly piece of metal, you can pay me! You’ll get the double bonus of spending time with me and learning to pour wine without being a pretentious jerk.

3. Banana Holder: I understand banana hangers because they actually keep the bananas from bruising, however this device actually adds pressure points. That is so illogical it makes my brain hurt. Plus it takes up all kinds of counter space and when it’s empty it looks like you have a block of ceramic swiss cheese on your counter.

4. Cherry Pitter: how often do you eat cherries that you need a device devoted to taking the pits out? See item 1 for information about how often you will use it and what will happen after years of disuse.

5. Soda Bottle Holder: Bring this to your next party and you’re likely to get a smack upside the head. See item 2 about being a pretentious jerk. At least this is only made of plastic and not metal. Now that I think about it it’s actually the redneck version of the wine pourer. Or would that be a beer pourer? No, rednecks don’t pour beer, they drink it straight from the 40.

So really what you need in your kitchen is: A good knife, 2 hands, a banana hook, and common sense. Good luck with the last one 

No comments:

Post a Comment