Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Stir Fry!

So I don’t have a wok but I’m still able to stir fry up a mean orange chicken. I was so excited by my moment of food genius last night that I need to share. I had planned to make chicken and broccoli for dinner and intended to prepare it in some boring way either bake or fry the chicken and steam the broccoli. I’d planned to add a little olive oil and maybe a few spices, nothing extravagant as it was already 9:30 I wanted food fast. Then I opened my spice/oil cabinet and it hit me (not literally thankfully) I have soy sauce, sesame oil and red pepper! Why not make spicy chicken. As I began to prepare the chicken I realized I also had an orange and orange juice in the fridge. So now I had spicy orange chicken coming together right before my eyes!

Recipe:

6 Oz chicken cut into bite sized pieces
1 C broccoli cut into bite size pieces
Sesame oil
Soy sauce
Red pepper flakes
Orange zest
Orange juice

Heat a large frying pan on the largest burner on medium heat. Coat the pan in sesame oil and let it heat through until the oil starts to shimmer. Add the chicken to the pan and cover. Check it every few minutes and turn the chicken as needed. When the chicken is almost cooked add the broccoli and cover again. Allow the broccoli to cook almost all the way (it should still be bright green and a bit crunchy) add the soy sauce red pepper flakes and orange juice to taste. Zest the orange over the whole pan and stir while still on the heat. Once all the broccoli and chicken is coated in the sauce take it off the heat and serve.

You could serve this as is if you’re watching your carbohydrate intake or put it over rice.

It’s simple but very satisfying!

No comments:

Post a Comment