Saturday, June 11, 2011

Market Day!

It’s market day! Actually it’s the first day of our Farm to SEPTA food share program. We pay $20 every 2 weeks to get a new delivery of fresh produce every 2 weeks. I decided to join to expand my vegetable and fruit horizons. I really end up eating the same things every week so I’m on a mission to try new things and what better way than to have it delivered to me every 2 weeks!

This week we received 1 head of red leaf lettuce, 4 zucchini, 1 carton of mushrooms, 1 bunch of carrots, 1 bunch of red swiss chard, 5 cucumbers, 1 qt of strawberries, 1 bunch of cilantro, and 12 farm fresh eggs.

I am excited to get cooking! I have a few recipes for how to cook swiss chard. But first I’ll tell you what I think of the produce:
The lettuce looks good. I’ve had red leaf lettuce before at a restaurant but I’ve never used it myself so we’ll see.
The zucchini are a bit short but we’ll see what they taste like. I will probably have to adjust my expectations of vegetable size. I’m used to the hormone pumped grocery store varieties. The same goes for the carrots and the strawberries. Actually the strawberries remind of me the type we used to pick at the “pick your own strawberries” places when I was little. Sadly they’re few and far between these days because people pick their own and eat them before they ever get to the register.
The mushrooms look really good. I’m excited about those. I don’t eat mushrooms very often so this will be a good test for me. I usually just throw them into a salad raw. I’m going to attempt to cook them. Add enough butter and anything tastes good right?? (what about getting into that wedding dress?)
I have no idea what swiss chard looks like in the store so I have no concept if this looks better/worse/different or anything. It looks leafy and red and green. It’s pretty plump so I’m sure it’s good
The cilantro smells amazing. I can’t wait to have something to use that in! It is making my office refrigerator smells so much better now!

No comments:

Post a Comment