Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pot Roast!!

I am in love with pot roast. It is so easy and so good. How can you go wrong?? Saturday night (too late for dinner but we’d already eaten dinner so no loss) I started with 3 ½ lbs of beef eye round. This is a very lean cut of meat so I decided to roast it covered with some juices to help it along.
Pre heat your oven to 325 degrees. Add oil to a 4 to 6 qt stock pot, enough to cover the bottom. With the heat on your burner up to medium brown the roast on all side. My only problem was that I didn’t brown the meat as much as I should have. That didn’t matter too much for the taste but it would have looked better.
After you brown the meat drain off the oil and fat. Add Worcestershire sauce, oregano and ¾ cup of water to your pot. Cover and roast for 1 hour.
For vegetables you’ll need:
1 lb carrots --> peeled and cut into 1 inch slices
4 medium potatoes --> peeled and cut in quarters or eights
2 medium onions --> cut into slices
2 celery ribs --> cut into 1 inch slices
All your vegetables should be about the same size.
After cooking your roast for 1 hour add all the vegetables and cook at 325 for another 45 minutes to an hour. Your roast will be done when the internal temp is about 160 and your vegetables are fork tender (You don’t have to try hard to push the fork in).
Because I finished at midnight. I wrapped up the meat in tin foil and put the vegetables in a Corningware oven safe dish and put them both in the refrigerator for the night. I also drained the juices left in the pot into a gravy strainer and refrigerated that.
Sunday I sliced up the roast and made gravy with the juices and ¼ cup of flour and ½ cup of cold water (whisk them together before adding to the pot juices). Heat on medium until the gravy is thick and bubbly. Cook for 1 more minute. Tadaa! You have super fast and easy gravy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Because I started with a 3 ½ lbs roast and there are only 2 of us here we now have sliced pot roast for lunch this week!
I experienced a first today. I had someone drooling over my lunch. Pot roast sandwich and vegetables are even better than I thought! It was “better than [his] peanut butter sandwich”. Why yes you’re right… my pot roast sandwich is much better than your peanut butter sandwich. And my vegetables taste as good if not better than they smell.

Special thanks to: Julie and Jason for the gravy separator (awesomely helpful if you’re making gravy, surprising given the name right??)

No comments:

Post a Comment