Sunday, July 10, 2011

Omelet Pans

So today I learned that my Staub 10' cast iron pan is not a good omelet pan. My omelet stuck and became scrambled eggs. They were tasty scrambled eggs but not quite what I intended. I made two omelets with tomatoes, candy red onions, and mushrooms. When making an omelet go with an actual omelet pan.

First we’ll talk food:

Candy red onions are amazing. I have a new favorite onion. I used to love Vidalia onions because they are nice and sweet when you cook them down. The candy red onions taste great whether they are cooked or raw. They live up to their name. I threw them in a salad last week with butter lettuce, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, and gouda cheese. Topped off with a nice balsamic vinaigrette, awesome.

Next we’ll talk tools:

The Staub cast iron skillet is just that, it’s an awesome skillet. We sautéed peppers and onion to the perfect tenderness to match with sweet and spicy sausages Amaroso rolls. Happy dinner! The reason for this is the even heating of the heavy pan. This does not help in making an omelet though. The cast iron pan does not have a smooth enough surface to release the egg when it is cooked. A good omelet pan is one that is small (8 to 10 inches, I personally like the 8 inch for a 2 egg omelet) with a smooth bottom. I’m currently using one that has a Teflon coating however I will be getting an uncoated pan. I will get back to you about which I prefer.

Special thanks to Alan and Renee for the Staub frying pan.

1 comment:

  1. Ed found an omelet match made in heaven with the Calphalon omelet non-stick....it was after he tried a lot of pans that weren't good. Its very much like dating...You'll find your match soon :)

    ReplyDelete