Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Kosher Butcher Experience

I've never been to a butcher shop before. I've always gotten my meat at the grocery store. Yes there is a person employed by the grocery store that has the title "butcher" but I'm talking about a store that only sells meat. So today I decided was the day. I live in a neighborhood with a pretty large observant Jewish population so we have a kosher butcher. I figure that's the place to go because I know it's going to be clean and fresh. I was totally intimidated. I had no idea what I was really asking for. Now I know I was really looking for a leg of lamb, something that was pretty sizable but without a bone. What I asked for was "lamb". They said what kind. I said "well I don't really know I want to cook it in a rotisserie oven". I ended up walking out with a lamb breast. It has bones. I'm not really sure what to do with it. I have it marinating right now but I'm not really sure what cooking method to try. I can't put it in the rotisserie, I won't be able to get the skewers into it. I know I can't pan fry it. I think braising it is the way to go, but I'm not 100% sure yet.
So even after I conquered my fear of the butcher I'm still a little intimidated but next time I'll know what I'm looking for before I go in.

No comments:

Post a Comment