Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Lamb Breast, Not Impressed

HAHA! Look I can rhyme! Now if I only had rhythm. As impressed as I am with my linguistic abilities I'm equally unimpressed with my lamb breast preparation. I'm not sure if it was my preparation or the cut of meat or (most likely) both. I marinated it in red wine(Cabernet sovengnion), balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, honey, salt, pepper, ground mustard, and nutmeg. After marinating for a few hours I set the lamb on 2 overturned ramekins in a pan full of the marinating liquid and covered the whole thing with tin foil. I didn't want the meat to sit down in the liquid because it would boil instead of roasting in a moist environment.
The meat was moist due to the massive amounts of fat under the muscle. The meat tasted ok, but the texture wasn't much to write home about. I didn't hate it but it certainly wasn't special. I think it needed a glaze or something with an intense flavor. The marinade lacked pop. It had no standout flavor. Now that I'm drinking a glass of the wine I can say with certainty that the wine has something to do with the lack of flavor. It's flat, there is nothing terrible or outstanding about it. I think it's actually on the edge of going bad. It's not even old.
It's really too bad. I like lamb when it's done properly. I'm going to need to do some more research before I attempt lamb again. Maybe next time I'll actually get a leg of lamb to roast in the rotisserie.
I know yesterday I said I was going to do the summer squash. I didn't get to it tonight. I tried but I got distracted by the lamb. I'll get to the squash... I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment