Monday, July 26, 2010

Okra Part 1 ... before the pan

Ok so I’ve done it. I bought okra. Although it’s not fresh it’s still okra. I’ll be honest I approach the cooking of this particular vegetable with some trepidation. I have heard all kinds of things about it being pretty gooey and slimy if cooked improperly. In my efforts to buy fresh okra I decided to search the internet first. It turns out that you can buy it in the 2 metric ton shipments (yes really). While it would give me a great opportunity to play and learn about how to best to serve okra I don’t think my apartment will hold 2 metric tons. My next venture was to the local supermarket but they don’t sell it fresh. So to the frozen food section I went on a whim.

Random useless and useful information about okra (thanks to Wikipedia)

Okra is:
in the same family as cotton
a traditional food in Africa
used to thicken stews including the southern American favorite: Gumbo

On a side note
I’m pretty sure I could go to the grocery story every day for entertainment. I just went to a different grocery story today. I’m actually really excited about this one. I forgot how much I like SuperFresh. My ACME is no good. I have an issue when the vegetables and fruits are crawling with fruit flies and other bugs. SuperFresh is bigger and better lit and has a better selection of fresh produce. I'm probably only going to ACME for packaged stuff last minute. I'll actually have to plan my shopping trips now but it will definitely be worth it.

Ok to the cooking of the okra. We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment