Saturday, January 21, 2012

Beans and Franks

Have you ever had a night that you just don't feel like making dinner, but you don't want to go out to eat either? I feel like I have one about once a week. My go to lately has been baked beans and franks which is pretty awesome because of the variety of beans available it doesn't get old.

Recently I discovered/remembered something from my childhood that goes perfectly with beans and franks, brown bread. In fact, many families in the Boston area (read that, Stoneham) would eat beans and franks with brown bread on Friday or Saturday nights. The funny and somewhat baffling thing to people who have never had/seen brown bread before is that it comes in a can. That's right... bread in a can. It's an awesome concept when you think about it for storage and longevity purposes. It's fairly inexpensive, about $2 or $3 a can and you get about 7 or 8 slices out of each can. And if you can buy in bulk you might be able to get it for less than that.

Brown bread is basically a quick bread style molasses sweetened bread, often with raisins. I found it to be a little spongy the way I prepared it (in the oven at 350 degrees) I think if I toasted it the extra crunch would help take away some of the spongy texture.

My mom bought me a few cans last time I was in Boston because it's not sold here in PA. With it she also bought B & M baked beans which were surprisingly different from the most common brand sold here, Bush's. Bush's baked beans are sweeter with a very thick syrupy sauce. The B & M beans were smaller with a lightly tangy savory sauce which was a bit more runny. The beans were the dominant flavor, in the Bush's beans the sauce does most of the talking.

This is a very New England quick meal. The best part is if you keep all the parts stocked in your pantry you can have dinner on the table in about 15 minutes. AND... it's actually pretty good for you, low fat and high fiber!

What's your favorite fast meal?

No comments:

Post a Comment