Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Kensington Chicken

Last post I talked about adding more vegetables to my diet and I took the easy way out with salad. I know, I feel like a little bit of a sellout. But have no fear! Although I’m gnawing on raw carrots almost every day I have not turned into a bunny. I’m adding more vegetables to my cooked foods too! This week I’m working on a chicken dish with mushrooms, onions, and spinach. Initially I wanted to use cream of mushroom soup to make the sauce, however given my intention to get healthy I thought otherwise. I’ve decided to forgo the cream of mushroom for now and we’ll see how the whole thing tastes. If it needs it I’ll use it, but I think I’ve done well to work around it.

You’ll need:
4 chicken breasts
1 box frozen spinach; defrosted and drained
1 med/large onion
¾ lbs. crimini mushrooms
Flour
Chicken stock
1 cup of wine
A dash of lemon juice
McCormik’s poultry gravy seasoning
rice

So here goes: start by flouring your chicken. I’ve learned to love this method, not sure why it works, it just does. Add a little vegetable oil to a medium hot pan and throw in your chicken breast. Sear on both sides for about 2 minutes each side. Remove the chicken and set aside. Sauté the onions until soft, add mushrooms and sauté until browned. In a separate bowl mix gravy seasoning and chicken stock. I used about 2 rounded tablespoons of gravy seasoning and mixing it with 2 cups of chicken stock. Add the chicken stock to the pot, plus any additional chicken stock you want, I used almost 1 whole box. Add a squeeze of lemon and about a cup of white wine. allow to cook down and double check the seasoning. Add salt and pepper as required. Add the chicken back to the pot, cover and let cook down until the chicken is cooked through.

Serve with rice and enjoy

I asked my husband what to call this, looking for a title for this post. His response: "Tasty!"

This also give the benefit of not being creaming, heavy, and rich. This is light and tangy while still filling. I hope you like it as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment