Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Breakfast casserole

As mentioned on New Years Day I made a casserole for breakfast after our New Years Eve traditional turkey dinner (it's tradition 8 years running). I decided to make it ahead of time and have it ready so all I had to do is throw it in the oven in the morning. I need to thank my sister for this idea. It made breakfast a joy instead of a chore after partying like rock stars.
This is an amazingly easy and awesome breakfast.
Frozen hash browns
eggs (many)
milk (some)
4 frying peppers (not hot but not bell peppers either, they're actually called frying peppers)whatever color you can find. I usually use green or red but they come in yellow and orange as well.
1 onion
2 packages of Brown and Serve breakfast sausage
salt
black pepper

Line the bottom of an aluminum baking pan with frozen hash browns and bake according to the directions. I used a two 1/2 sheet pan (1/2 the size used for a turkey). While that's cooking chop and saute the peppers and onion. I started with the onion and added the peppers once the onion softened. Also start browning the sausages Crack eggs into a bowl, I used over 18 eggs for the 2 pans. Add milk to your taste. I believe I used about 2 cups but I'm really no sure. Whisk until the whites and yolks are incorporated with the milk. Add the onion/pepper mix to the eggs and chop the sausages and add them to the egg mix. when the hash browns are crispy pour the egg mixture over the hash browns and return to the oven to bake for 45 minutes to an hour (or longer if the eggs are not set. I cooked mine at 400 degrees, however i think that may have been a bit too hot, I'd probably go for 375 or 350 in the future.

Once the whole thing was cooked I threw it in the refrigerator for morning/early afternoon 1/1/12. When I woke up I started the oven preheating at 350 degrees, made coffee (very important), pulled the casseroles out of the fridge. I warmed them for about 20 to 25 minutes until the centers were warm and cut and served.

In the past anyone who did not cook the New Years Eve dinner made breakfast. I am glad that this year no one really had to do too much this New Years Day. Plus my kitchen was no worse for the ware.

No comments:

Post a Comment