Sunday, January 15, 2012

I've figured it out!! I think...

I haven't tried it yet so bear with me...

I was challenged to make sweet potato gnocchi a few months ago. This should be pretty straight forward, same a regular potato gnocchi (I hope). Bake the sweet potatoes. Take off the skins and run the potatoes through a ricers or food mill. Add flour until the dough is not sticky. I also usually add nutmeg and probably still will for the sweet potatoes.

My biggest worry thus far has been what to serve it with. Normal red gravy or pesto wasn’t going to work, a cheese sauce would overpower the taste of the sweet potato but the normal topping for sweet potatoes might be a bit much (brown sugar and butter). I wanted to make a sauce that would complement and enhance the flavors of the sweet potato. I was inspired by the flavors of Outback Steakhouse. Normally when I go there I get a petit filet or the sirloin, green beans, and a baked sweet potato with all the fixings. So with that in mind I came up with an idea. Borrowing the steak flavor and the sweetness of the brown sugar I think I’ve nailed the sauce. I’ll need to tweak it when I actually put it together but here it is:

Red wine
Beef stock
McCormick’s brown gravy mix
Molasses (for the sweetness) with a tang
A little bit of worstershire sauce
Salt
Pepper

Mix the red wine, beef stock and molasses in a heavy sauce pan on medium/high head and cook until boiling. Whisk in the brown gravy mix. Add a little bit of worstershire sauce to taste. Continue to cook until the sauce thickens up a bit.

The plan is to make this on Monday or Tuesday. So I’ll report back on Wednesday and let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to hear how this turns out.

    Something to ponder for the future - sweet potato goes really well with Mexican flavors (for example these, with black beans substituted, are my favorite burritos http://allrecipes.com/recipe/addictive-sweet-potato-burritos/). So maybe something like green sauce could go over sweet potato gnocchi? Or an enchilada sauce? Could be served with slow cooked pinto beans and sauteed peppers? I don't know. Just a thought. It could be handy to have a totally different way to serve extra gnocchi from a big batch.

    ReplyDelete