Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year my friends!! What a year it's been! I started a new job. I got married!! :) Had an awesome honeymoon! And moved into our amazing apartment. All within 3 months... and spend the rest of the year recovering. So now that I've recovered from that it was time to start hosting parties in our perfectly designed for it house!
Our tradition has been to throw a pretty rockin' New Years party. Including a turkey dinner to rival anyone's Thanksgiving. This year like every year I learned some things.

1. More turkey is better
2. A balsamic reduction is a perfect drawing tool when served in a squeeze bottle
3. I can probably make less green beans and stuffing.
4. We don't need variety in drinks if we have one AWESOME punch. (maybe next year I'll do OJ ice cubes or something)
5. Preparing breakfast ahead of time is the ONLY way to survive the New Years morning.

The balsamic reduction was intended for bruchetta, and of course we used it on everything once we discovered it tasted great!

How to:
1:1 ratio of balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in a heavy sauce pan. Heat on medium/low heat for at least 45 minutes, until the reduction coats the back of a spoon. You'll want to get it out of the pot as soon as possible. It will get very sticky and make a damn mess if you're not careful but oh my is it worth it! It may also drive you screaming from the kitchen. If you've never cooked straight vinegar before you have no idea what I'm talking about however it can be a rather nasty smell. Just open a window, I know it's January but it's not that cold out. Actually it feels quite nice.

My friends new and old I wish you a very happy and prosperous new year!

P.S. Special thanks to Justin and Monisha, and Shaina and Mark for the Armatele platters. Paul and Joyce thank you for the casserole (perfect for green beans).
I am very grateful for the generosity of our family and friends this past year. I am truly overwhelmed by the wonderful people we are blessed to be related to and the family we've picked up along the way. I look forward to many more years of love, laughter, and Nerf warfare at NYE parties!

No comments:

Post a Comment