Saturday, January 28, 2012

Steak Night!

I love steak. I'm usually terrible at cooking it but I do love it. On a recent trip to BJ's Wholesale Club, of which I am a member (yay inexpensive food to feed an army!) I decided to pick up a few strip steaks. I have a grill pan, which usually smokes out the entire house when I use it, so of course I decided to try again.
Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls... we have success!! FINALLY! I can actually cook steak without burning it and/or leaving the center completely raw. My secret this time... I cooked the outside on the grill pan to give it the nice char marks, then put the whole pan in the oven at 400 degrees. I probably could have cooked it a little less but it was still quite tasty, and not burned, just over cooked in the center. I prefer my meat to be on the rare side of medium, these were on the well side.
I also did not marinate the steaks in anything, frankly a good steak should not need it. A little dry rub of salt and steak seasoning and you should be good to go. I am a big fan of McCormick's (I sound like an ad for them don't I? I should be paid for this, Hint Hint, GIVE ME A CALL! ;) Spicy Montreal Seasoning. It gave the steaks a nice kick without overpowering the meaty flavor of the strip steak.
One of the best parts is strip steaks are pretty inexpensive on the scale of steaks. I paid about $10 for 2 good sized steaks. Plus the flavor of a strip steak is outrageous. I love me a good filet for the smooth almost buttery quality, but a good NY strip is a dream on a Thursday night. Forget the steakhouses, I'll just learn to make it better at home!
I served my steaks with stir-fried peppers and onions, the contrast of the sweet peppers and onions to the peppery steaks was perfect! Nothing fancy but it sure made us happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment